Brain Pickings — which remains ad-free and supported by readers — is a cross-disciplinary LEGO treasure chest, full of pieces spanning art, science, psychology, design, philosophy, history, politics, anthropology, and more; pieces that enrich our mental pool of resources and empower combinatorial ideas that are stronger, smarter, richer, deeper and more impactful. Above all, it’s about how these different disciplines illuminate one another to glean some insight, directly or indirectly, into that grand question of how to live, and how to live well.-source https://www.brainpickings.org/about/
I recently rummaged its art and psychology subjects to find articles that I would read for later. The list below is a compilation of my top picks from among the many I have chosen. These articles are filled invaluable wisdom and insights about creativity, life and success.
- Diseases of the Will: Neuroscience Founding Father Santiago Ramon Y Cajal on the Six Psychological Flaws That Keep the Talented From Achieving Greatness
- What It Really Takes to Be an Artist: MacArthur Genius Teresita Fernandez’s Magnificent Commencement Address
- Do: Sol Lewitt’s Electrifying Letter of Advice on Self-Doubt, Overcoming Creative Block and Being an Artist
- The Perils of Plans: Why Creativity Requires Leaping into the Unknown
- Van Gogh and Mental Illness
- Vincent van Gogh on Fear, Taking Risks and How Making Inspired Mistakes Moves Us Forward